Everything You Need to Know About Lupus
Read Dr. Lans’ latest article on eMediHealth – Everything You Need to Know About Lupus.
- Lupus is an autoimmune disorder wherein the body’s immune system is unable to distinguish self cells from foreign invaders and starts attacking the body tissues, causing inflammation.
- The reason behind lupus is not yet determined. It is more prevalent in women than in men.
- The symptoms are intermittent, and the periods where the condition is at its lowest are known as remission.
- Rarely, the mother’s antibodies may affect the fetus, known as neonatal lupus.
- Since lupus presents a battery of symptoms, diagnosis can be difficult. Often, lupus and rosacea may be confused with each other due to similar symptoms.
- A majority of lupus cases can be managed with treatment, regular follow-ups, lifestyle changes, and self-care, helping the affected individual live an average life span.